Who is a citizen of Uganda
1. Every person born in Uganda, one of whose parents or grandparentsis or was a member of any of the indigenous communities existing and residing within the borders of Uganda as at the first day of February,
1926 and set out in the third schedule of the constitution. (article 10a of the constitution)
2. Every person born in or outside Uganda one of whose parents or grandparents was at the time of birth of that person, a citizen of Uganda by birth.
3. A child of not more than five years of age found in Uganda whose parents are not known is presumed to be Ugandan
4. A child under the age of eighteen years neither of whose parentsis a citizen of Uganda, who is adopted by a citizen of Uganda upon registration shall be a citizen of Uganda
5. A person who successfully applies for and is registered as a citizen of Uganda
WHAT DOCUMENT WILL I BE ISSUED TO SHOW THAT I AM A REGISTERED CITIZEN?
A person who is registered as a citizen of Uganda shall be issued with a serialized certificate of registration.
WHAT IS THE EFFECT OF BEING REGISTERED AS A UGANDAN?
Upon registration as a citizen of Uganda, one acquires all rights, duties and responsibilities that accrue to a Ugandan citizen such as the right to hold a Uganda Passport, the right to vote, the duty to pay
taxes, duty to report crime, the duty to defend the Constitution ofUganda.
WHAT IS DUAL CITIZENSHIP?
In Uganda, dual citizenship means the simultaneous possession of two citizenships of which one is Uganda.
DOES DUAL CITIZENSHIP INCLUDE POSESSION OF THREE CITIZENSHIPS?
NO; dual citizenship in Uganda means only two citizenships of which one is Uganda. The possession of a third citizenship disqualifies one from holding or being a dual national of Uganda unless the third citizenship
WHAT IS THE RATIONALE FOR DUAL CITIZENSHIP IN UGANDA?
Realization that Ugandans in the Diaspora make enormous contribution to the economic and socio development of Uganda Need to enable Ugandans in the Diaspora maintain linkages with their roots without any legal hindrances
The need to attract potential investors Reap advantages that accrue from the grant of dual citizenship.
WHEN DID THE LAW ON DUAL CITIZENSHIP COME INTO FORCE?
Until 2009, dual citizenship was prohibited in Uganda by Article 15 of the Constitution. Article 15 was amended by constitutional amendment No……. pursuant to which the Uganda Citizenship and Immigration Control
(Amendments) Act 2009 was enacted providing for dual citizenship in Uganda.
WHO QUALIFIES TO HOLD DUAL CITIZENSHIP IN UGANDA?
Any person holding Uganda citizenship and seeks citizenship of another country that allows dual citizenship and also fulfils therequirements for dual nationality
Any person who holds a citizenship of a country that permits dual nationality and also seeks Uganda citizenship and satisfies the requirements for grant of dual citizenship
WHAT ARE THE PROCEDURES FOR RETAINING THE CITIZENSHIP OF UGANDA WHEN ONE ACQUIRES CITIZENSHIP OF ANOTHER COUNTRY?
A citizen of Uganda who desires to acquire the citizenship ofanother country while retaining his/her citizenship of Uganda shall give notice in writing to the National Citizenship and Immigration
Board of his or her application for the citizenship of another country
b) The notice above shall be in the prescribed form and shall be accompanied by:
A statutory declaration stating that he or she is a citizen of Uganda only where the person is a citizen of Uganda and another country, a declaration of renunciation of the Citizenship of the third country
evidence that the applicant is of or above eighteen years of age A copy of the application for citizenship of that other country any other relevant information
Summary Check List For Dual Citizenship Applicants
- Fil in the dual citizenship application form and have it commissioned or Notarized by a High Court Judge or Notary Public
- Covering letter addressed to the secretary of the National citizenship and Immigration Board
- Letter of good conduct from the home country or Interpol
- Evidence that the applicant was formerly a Ugandan ( only applicable to Ugandans in the Diaspora )
- Proof that the applicant has been granted citizenship by registration ( only applicable to foreigners who have been granted Ugandan Citizenship by Registration )
- Evidence that that other country other than Uganda allows dual citizenship e.g letter from immigration authority or High Commission or consulate of that ther country or copy of the provisions of laws permitting dual citizenship of that other country )
- 2 recent Passport size photos of applicant
- Evidence that the applicant or his/her parents or grand parents have ever resided in Uganda for at least ten years
- Medical report of sanity of the applicant
- Proof that the applicant is above 18 years of age e.g birth certificate
- Evidence that the applicant has adequate knowledge of English, Swahili or Any of the prescribed vernacular languages.