Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries is a Government Ministry charged with creating an enabling environment in the Agricultural Sector. It is commonly known as Ministry of Agriculture and carries out its role by enhancing crop production, improving food and nutrition security, widening export base and improved incomes of the farmers.
The Ministry is the overseer of the Agricultural sector where it formulates, reviews and implement national policies, plans, strategies, regulations and standards and enforce laws, regulations and standards along the value chain of crops, livestock and fisheries.
The Ministry of Agriculture has Directorates which include:
- Animal Resources;
- Crop Resources;
- Fisheries Resources; and
- Agricultural Extension Services.
The Ministry has specialized units and agencies through which it achieves it mission. They are:
- National Agricultural Advisory Services (NAADS);
- National Agricultural Research Organisation (NARO);
- National Animal Genetic Resource Centre and Data Bank (NAGRC&DB) ;
- Coordinating Office for the Control of Trypanosomiasis in Uganda (COCTU);
- Diary Development Authority (DDA);
- Uganda Coffee Development Authority (UCDA); and
- Cotton Development Organization (CDO).
Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries is mandated to:
- Formulate, review and implement national policies, plans, strategies, regulations and standards and enforce laws, regulations and standards along the value chain of crops, livestock and fisheries;
- Control and manage epidemics and disasters, and support the control of sporadic and endemic diseases, pests and vectors;
- Regulate the use of agricultural chemicals, veterinary drugs, biological, planting and stocking materials as well as other inputs;
- Support the development of infrastructure and use of water for agricultural production along livestock, crop and fisheries value chains;
- Establish sustainable systems to collect, process, maintain and disseminate agricultural statistics and information;
- Support provision of planting and stocking materials and other inputs to increase production and commercialization of agriculture for food security and household income;
- Develop public infrastructure to support production, quality / safety assurance and value-addition along the livestock, crop and fisheries commodity chains;
- Monitor, inspect, evaluate and harmonize activities in the agricultural sector including local governments;
- Strengthen human and institutional capacity and mobilize financial and technical resources for delivery of agricultural services; and
- Develop and promote collaborative mechanisms nationally, regionally and internationally on issues pertaining to the sector.
Minister for Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries, Hon. Vincent Bamulangaki Sempijja is charged to provide political leadership to this Ministry.