Ministry of Education and Sports is a Government Ministry to ensure provision of quality education and sports services in the country.
This Ministry is one of the key social service delivery sectors charged with Universal Primary Education (UPE), Universal Post Primary Education and Training (UPPET) as well as Sports for enhancing citizens’ wellness and productivity.
Ministry of Education as it is commonly known has Directorates that include;
- Basic and Secondary Education;
- Higher, Technical, Vocational Education and Training;
- Education Standards; and
- Industrial Training.
This Ministry has affiliated institutions like:
- Education Service Commission (ESC);
- Uganda National Examination Board (UNEB);
- Uganda Business and Technical Examination Board(UBTEB);
- Uganda Allied Health Examination Board;
- Uganda Nurses and Midwives Examination Board;
- National Council for Higher Education (NCHE);
- National Curriculum Development Centre (NCDC);
- National Council of Sports; and
- Uganda National Commission for UNESCO (UNATCOM).
Ministry of Education is the overseer of the Education sector promoting Public and Private Education systems.
Ministry of Education and Sports is mandated to:
- Ensure universal and equitable access to quality basic education for all children through: Early Childhood Care and Development for children up to 8 years, Universal Primary Education for children from 6 years to 12 years and Education for the disadvantaged groups from 6 years to 18 years.
- Improve the Quality of Education in the following levels:- In Primary Education by ensuring pass rates in literacy and numeracy (at the appropriate class grade) levels through the National Assessment of Progress of Education (NAPE); In Post-primary Education by ensuring achievements attainment targets and pass rates in English, Mathematics, Science and Information Technology.
- Ensure equal access by Gender, District and Special Needs at all levels of Education.
- Build capacity of districts by helping Education Managers acquire and improve on their knowledge, skills and attitudes to be able to plan, monitor, account and perform managerial functions.
Minister of Education and Sports, Hon. Janet Kataaha Museveni is charged to provide political leadership to this Ministry.
P. O. BOX 7063 Kampala, Uganda